‘Da Vinci Huis - IASL Award - South Africa’
The winner of the 2010 Award is Mrs. Anna Ditshego, Tiisetsong Secondary School in Thokoza township , Gauteng
The winner of the 2011 Award is Mrs. Nompumelelo Magdelinah Shongwe, Siyakhula Primary School. Ermelo
The winner of the 2012 Award is Mrs. Samukelo Nombembe, Mayisile Secondary School in Khayelitsha, Cape Town
The winner of the 2013 Award is Mr. Cosmas Mabeya, Equal Education - The Bookery, Cape Town.
The winner of the 2014 Award is Mr. Cosmas Mabeya and The Bookery, Cape Town (www.thebookery.org.za).
The winner of the 2015 Award is Mrs. Nokukhanya Nonqubeko Ndlazi, Isibonelo High School
F 4 Malandela Road, KwaMashu, Durban.
The winner of the 2016 Award is by Mrs. Ramashego Betty Madiba,Unified Public School in Roodepoort.
The winner of the 2017 Award is Mr. Matome Michael Makwela from Randburg. Project Manager for South Africa of School Aid.
The winner of the 2018 Award is Mrs. Constance Khabonina Nzimande, Umlazi Comprehensm Technical High School, Umlazi.
Due tot the visa/visit restrictions for entering Turkey, the 2018 winner attended the 2019 Conference in Croatia.
The winner of the 2020 Award is Mrs. Thembi Florence Mathenjw, New Ermelo Priary School, Ermelo, Gauteng. She will attend the virtual conference in 2021
The Award was established in 2009 to increase possibilities for young librarians in South Africa to participate actively in the international school library forum, especially the International Association of School Librarianship (IASL)
This Award is a gift program, designed to make it possible for a young school librarian, teacher-librarian, library assistant interested in school library services and Information Literacy working and living in South Africa to participate in an IASL conference. The person should be 40 years or younger. By participating the person is able to update his/her knowledge and skills and will be able to built a network of relevant persons and organisations.
Both individuals and library institutions are eligible to apply.
The Award includes:
- One year membership of IASL;
- Travelling costs to the IASL annual conference
- Costs for accommodation;
- 'Gala Dinner'
- As an award winner there are no registration costs;
- Costs for passport, visa, insurance and daily allowance are not covered by this grant. Winners are responsible for having the right documents.
The Award is administered by ‘Stichting Het Da Vinci Huis’ based in the Netherlands. A committee of six professionals from South Africa chaired by Mrs. Busi Dlamini will select and nominate one person to the Stichting. She is the liaison person between the winner and the Stichting.
The selection is made by a jury of 6 professionals. For 2018 the jury will consist of:
- Mrs. Busi Dlamini (GPEDU);
- Prof. Ina Fourie (University of Pretoria, Dept. Information Science);
- Prof. Mary Nassimbeni (University of Cape Town, Centre for Information Literacy);
- Mrs. Mona Cruywagen (School Library Coordinator, Gauteng Department of Education);
- Prof. Genevieve Hart (University of the West Cape),
- Mr. Cosmas Mabeya (The Bookery, Cape Town).
Applicants should address their letter and supporting documentation to Mrs. Busi Dlamini
The applications must be accompanied by:
- Curriculum vitae;
- Copy of librarianship diploma;
- A short description of the school and school library where the candidate is employed;
- The reasons that motivated the application;
- Description of the potential benefits from the prize in case of being successful in his/her application;
- The name of a contact person of the school where the candidate is employed.
The deadline for receipt of applications for 2022 will be nnounced i due time.
At the IASL conference the winner is supposed to give a short acceptance speech on his/her expectations and needs. After the conference the winner is supposed to write an report for for the Foundation and disemminate her/his experiences to the professional field.
Further information can be obtained from Mrs. Busi Dlamini.
Phone: 011 355 0763
Mobile: 083 266 8085
Fax: 011 355 0766
download application form
last update 20-8-2020